Affinio for Trailer Drop Analysis
Not too long ago, trailers were something you’d catch before your movie played at the theatre. Nowadays, people get just as excited for a movie trailer as they do the actual movie. Trailers have become a marketing tool that can make or break a film, and they are the single biggest determinant of how well a movie will do on opening weekend.
But just as important as producing a good trailer is knowing who your trailer’s audience is, so you can build out an effective media plan. Take, for example, the Mulan trailer, which was viewed 175.1 million times in its first 24 hours. We took to Affinio to understand the audience behind those views.
There are multiple ways in which you can collect an audience of a movie trailer:
- Trailer Retweets
- Mentions of the film or use of the film’s hashtag
- Tweet URLs (movie sites and articles)
- URL Shares of the trailer (Youtube or Twitter)
Affinio aggregates the Mulan trailer audience and clusters it into sub-communities based on their shared interests. That way, you can start to understand the different groups your movie is going to bring in and determine if the trailer attracted the intended audience.
Here’s how Mulan’s audience broke out:
With these insights, Studio Executives can ask themselves: Did the trailer bring in the intended audience? Are there any surprising sub-clusters that we aren’t already catering to? Are there clusters we should try to grow, and find more people like them?
With Affinio’s look-alike feature, you can find people who look exactly like the fans of your trailer but have not yet engaged, and target them directly on social – all straight from the Affinio platform.
Use Affinio for Trailer Drop Analysis to…
- Identify the first-to-the-scene audiences engaging with the trailer – what types of audiences or communities are generating buzz or word-of-mouth?
- Understand how each individual community reacts to the trailer, characters and cast, and get a pulse on what they like and dislike before and after the release.
- Identify top interests, traits, characteristics, and favorite media properties of each community.
- Run a look-alike report to find more people with similar interests and characteristics so that you can then engage with them to drive awareness of and excitement for the film.
- Identify ambassadors, influencers, and superfans who can help drive earned media at low cost.
- Monitoring analysis: Get a weekly update delivered to you to track what new audiences have appeared, grown, or decreased since phase one; track ongoing changes in culture, conversation, and trends amongst the film’s fan base.
By analyzing the audience of a movie trailer, Marketers and Studio Executives can create more cost-effective media plans since they know exactly where this audience can be found online, and where they should place their trailer for maximum exposure. They can tap into the specific interests of each audience group without having to do extensive, time-consuming research, and can use these insights to create relevant marketing campaigns, and ultimately driving more moviegoers into theatres.